One of my favorite places...

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

The filibuster and our future.

 I do not believe that the elimination of the filibuster will destroy America, but I do believe that it will be the final act in the destruction of the republic.  It will immediately transform America in very profound ways depending on which group wins any given election, and our congress will be transformed into a parliament wherein the majority of the moment is king.  I look at the history of parliamentary government and much prefer what we have enjoyed these past several hundred years.  I don’t hold those of us that want to go this route to be bad people.  They are just very shortsighted.  Unfortunately, the difference is not sufficient to save us from a significant increase in the swing of the political pendulum and that will intensify our divisions rather than heal them.  Division is what will destroy us.  The exact path that we take will depend on tactical issues of the moment, but the lack of unity is what will ensure our destruction.  I continue to see us as being stupid people.   Well educated, wealthy, cowards, afraid to face up to the specific issues that threaten us and adept at creating imaginary worlds.  I am not a fan of The Donald, but the idea that we are seriously considering the election of Harris/Walsh is literally embarrassing.  I am sure glad that I don’t have to explain America to any of my foreign friends any more.

No comments: