One of my favorite places...

Friday, May 10, 2024

I am not s fan of President Biden's foreign policy.

 I am not s fan of President Biden's foreign policy or of any of the individuals involved in making and implementing it, but I see the greater problem to be the ignorance of the American people about the world around us.  That ignorance permits the likes of Biden and Trump to pursue poorly conceived foreign adventures, many of which are diametrically opposed to one another.  We choose presidents, not because they have the better policy vis-a-vis whichever foreign country, but rather how we think that they will approach abortion, our economy, domestic crime, and assorted other domestic issues that touch our lives directly.  Foreign policy is dismissed with the charge that a given candidate is either "weak" or "strong."

I increasingly see the on-going disintegration of American society as being a significant argument that democracy is unable to deal with success.  A success that breeds cowardice, laziness, sloth, greed, xenophobia and wishful thinking.  If Americans were to live up to the responsibilities of democracy, we would perforce be more interested in the welfare of our fellow human.  Although you and I don't see what is happening to us, the rest of the world does, and they are actively looking for different leadership.  The political scientist in me finds all of this fascinating.  The American in me finds it disgusting.  The price that I pay for admitting my disgust is intellectual shunning by my community.  Again, the political scientist in me finds that too to be fascinating.  I would love to be able to discuss it with Putin and Xi and one or another of the ayatollahs, about whom we know so little.  Particularly Xi, who appears to have thought about it more deeply than any of the rest of our antagonists.  (I would expect a chat with Kim to be psychedelic rather than informative.)

My detractors will say that I favor dictatorship over democracy and that goes a very long way to proving my argument that we are a stupid people.

No comments: